Friday, December 23, 2011

Low Country Boil from the West Coast Gullah

West Coast Gullah's Low Country Boil full of fresh prawns, oysters, clams, black bass,


sweet potates, carrots, okra, and cabbage.



In early November, I went to St. Helena Island, and the city of Beaufort in South Carolina, to connect with my roots on my Dad's side. Yep! We Geechee, or Gullah, whichever you prefer. I journeyed to the 29th Annual Gullah Heritage Festival, held at the Penn Center, which is the site of one of the country's first schools for freed Africn slaves. The link is below to learn more about this fascinating place.

Seafood, which was always a big part of our diet in my Los Angeles home, is a staple of the African people that cultivated rice and indigo in the Sea Islands off the coast of the Carolinas and Georgia. So the dish I had at the Gullah Heritage Festival was basically shrimp, potatoes, spicy sausage, and corn. I also discovered that oysters are also a huge part of the Gullah diet. Our family had fried fish almost every Friday for dinner. Fried oysters were always accompanied by sand dabs, catfish, and Louisiana Buffalo, but we'd always save a few of the oysters to eat raw.





As I grew older and developed into a full fledged lover of raw oysters and clams, I attributed this craving to my Dad, who'd grown up in Newark, New Jersey. I just thought it was the influence of the Italian culture that'd planted this love of raw oysters and clams in him, which he'd passed on to me. Well this recent visit revealed that his love of oysters came from his own heritage, for harvesting and eating oysters is definitely a part of Gullah culture.





Now because the other side of me, my Mother's people, are also exquisite cooks, who get alot of their seasonings and spices from our Native American heritage, as I'm whirling about in the kitchen I also have to surrender to their urgings. My grandmother's mother was 1/2 Indian, and her husband, my grandfather's father was a full blood Comanche.

So I add sage, bay leaf and thyme to my Low Country Boil. Can't forget the gumbo file, which is sassafras, an herb my sister used to love as a tea when she was a child. I bring my own love of veggies to it, by adding carrots, almost a full head of cabbage, and to deepen the African soul of the dish, I add okra. And ofcourse, all this is built upon a bulb of sauted garlic following the holy trinity (onions, bell peppers and celery) which gets the fragrances and flavors going.

As far as seafood, besides fresh shrimp, I add oysters and clams. Last batch I even added crab. To honor my Uncle Wendell, who taught me how to fish, ring a chicken's neck and love the outdoors, I place a nice piece of black bass on top almost at the end so that it doesn't fall apart. Bass was one of his favorite fish, and my middle name is derived from his name.

The dish is lighter than gumbo because it is not started with roux. A roux, made from flour and water is a thickener, and I like that my Gullah ancestors liked to 'keep it light', because the dish is really very low in calories and as I make it, totally healthy.




I use all organic veggies, and the freshest fish from Chinese fish markets. I find Chinese markets always a better source for fish than Whole Foods, or any other markets. Daily fresh catches, often wild caught, and all for dollars less per pound than traditional supermarkets. A slightly hot smoked sausage made of beef and chicken (my favorite choice is James' BBQ sausage) just contrasts the fish with a kick that's satisfying in itself.


A couple of last notes....I use Rooibus, the African red tea that is higher in anti-oxidants than green tea as my liquid base. To prepare it I boil at least 2 tsps in a quart pan and start my Boil with that. Later I add more water to the Boil making sure everything is covered. The Boil is actually a seafood, sausage and vegetable soup, so enough water is critical, as the broth is just as delectable as the ingredients.




And yes, sea salt....never that iodized salt. I remember that at the Penn Center, this dish was HOT! So I make sure mine is also by using what the Jamaican Ital chefs call a Scotch Bonnet pepper. And I also added about 1/8 of a tsp of cayenne pepper (30,000 scoville units).


Lawd Have Mercy....Deeelicious~


Kentke



I just ruined all that good eating by snacking out on Trader Joe's Cocoa Drizzled Kettle Corn!!! OMG that stuff is good! And they even had the nerve to price it cheap~ only $1.99.


Now if you really want a taste organism, add sweet raisins and dry roasted salted p-nuts. Dr. Carver would approve. It makes a great party mix, or movie/video snack.



Bon Appetite Darlings~



4 comments:

  1. Thanks Kentke for all the cool info. Happy Holidays and Happy New Years. I hope to catch up soon.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your blogs - they are all interesting and I like the range of topics. Al Quida's tactics don't seem much different than all the others that work to achieve loyalty - of which, I am questioning lately. I'm not sure how I feel about the loyalty when faced with truth.

    I'm also wondering why I didn't get invited to the West Coast Gullah's home... now that would've gotten you a little loyalty, but instead it got me closer to the truth. Perhaps you were ashamed cuz you only own a stock pot and no serving bowls, cuz you spent the money for bowls on a camera. Who really knows.
    xo,
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Luna~
    How you doing? I just saw your message and wanted to get to you immediately. It reflected some confusion, so I want to clarify what I got out of what you wrote.

    First of all, I didn't have any event where I've invited anyone to my home. I apologize if you thought I'd cooked the pot of food for a party or gathering. I cook like that for myself. It lasts me about 3 - 4 meals.

    I'd love to have people over to enjoy what I cook, but my place is so small, that there literally is not room. I have a table that folds out of the wall in my small kitchen, and then fold back down, so that I can slip easily in and out. I usually eat on a tray I place on my bed.

    That is one reason I must move. Because I need more space now so that I can entertain and share more of my life with friends, in my home. I've tried to get together with you, as you have with me. I've called and invited and tried to arrange time. And in those offerings was also the intention that you'd come by and see where and how I live. And if I was cooking, ofcourse we'd eat, But I also enjoy eating out.

    As to how many pots I own...I own a several, yes. And also I own several bowls for my preparations. But like I said, this place being so small, much of my kitchen essentials are still boxed up in the garage where the majority of my books, music and life are stored.

    You must remember, that I'm a grown woman of 62 years of life. Meaning that I've had homes and lived much differently than I do now. In the course of my life I've had housekeepers to clean, limos to drive me, traveled the world in comfort, and always been well dressed. Though I always live well, I also live modestly, and I determine my values. Right now, I'm coming out of a few years of deep transition. So forming judgments from one moment's meeting out of a person's entire lifetime can definately lead to wrong assumptions.

    As to the camera, it was a gift from a friend that was killed in a car crash about six months after we'd met. It's a bottom of the line Coolpix, but it's what I used to photograph my Master's Degree project...."Nature's Beauty, Nature's Bounty ~ Our Companion On the Path". He believed in my creative potential, and supported it with the gift of the camera.

    Are you in town? I'm just getting up, but I am going to do a walk/hike, and would love to see you. Then you could ask any more questions you might have of me. Like you....I'm always in pursuit of deeper understanding and truth.

    lovu,

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Absence of citizen online privacy protection by U S government (1) achievements of women (1) Africa human rights (1) africa political violence (1) African Muslims want peace (1) African politics (1) African refugee assisting homeland (1) African violence and corruption (1) African-American art (1) agriculture biotechnology industry (1) alQaida in Africa (1) American economic system (1) American education (1) American labor movement (2) American prison system (1) American racism (1) animals (1) Animals and humans (3) anti-American Middle Eastern cyber hijackers (1) apartheid 20 years gone (1) Arnold (1) Art by artists of African descent both continental (1) Atlanta (1) Avatar (1) Barack Obama (2) BeeSweet Lemonade (1) beneficial presence in the world (1) Bill Clinton (1) biogenetics (1) birthday (1) Black male role models (1) Black men unjustly incarcerated (1) Black people worldwide (1) busting American myths (1) buyer beware (1) Caribbean Literature Book Club 2010 reading list (1) champions (1) change for america world (1) charity (1) charter schools (2) China (1) classy artists (1) Congo (1) Consumer Rights (1) consumerism (1) Cornel West (1) Cosmos (1) coups in Africa (1) creativity built from our culture (1) credit game (1) Crenshaw community (1) cyberspace brought into wars (1) Dark Matter (1) David Bowie (1) Dedan Gills (1) delusions of the American masse (1) democracy in the world (1) destroying myths that no longer serve the good (1) Dialogue in America (1) diaspora (1) Disgust; Being our true selves (1) distribution of wealth (1) donating (1) earthworms (1) ecologically smart cars; green lifestyle (1) ecology (1) economic meltdown (1) economics (1) Edge intellectuals (1) Education in America (1) Egypt (1) elevating consciousness of American people (1) endangered Mountain Gorillas (1) European internet privacy (1) Excellent athletes (1) expanding consciousness (1) fear and greed of white people (1) female corporate/ multinational CEOs (1) first blog of the year (1) freedom of the press (1) French and Mali troops roust al-Qaida Islamist invaders (1) G-20 (1) gardeners (1) giving (1) global immigration issues; Israel (1) golf (1) Good works in Africa by her children in the diaspora (1) gospel music (1) Gratitude (1) Groups doing great work (1) Haitian Earthquake relief effort (2) helping others globally (1) History of issue of race in America (1) Homophobia (1) Human omniaction (1) ignorance (1) imperialism (1) indigenious people (1) influencing purchasing trends with priming (1) Iraqi drones compromised (1) Islam (1) Islamic extremests in African; Timbuktu (2) jokes (1) Kenya bloggers (1) latest scientific discoveries (1) law (1) Los Angeles life; architecture; African-Americans in Los Angeles (2) lost world cultures (1) Love (1) Malcolm X Civil Rights Leader (1) Mali (3) Mali 2013 (1) manipulating the food of the world (1) manuscripts of Africa's past (1) men of integrity (1) men standing strong (1) Mikhail Khodorkovsky (1) military power in Afrcia (1) military power in Africa (1) Monsanto (1) MTV (1) Mugabe (2) my travels (1) Natalie Cole (1) National Parks (1) Native Americans (1) Nature at It's Best File (3) Nelson Mandela (1) Neuromelanin (1) New Yorker Magazine (1) Nigerian terrorist (1) Nobel Peace Prize winners (1) Obama as a balm (1) Obama diplomacy (1) Obama foreign diplomacy (1) Obama in Europe (1) Obama nobel prize winner (1) Obama policies regarding average citizens (1) Obama's ability to control and steer his administration (1) Octavvia E. Butler (1) order (1) organic (1) outstanding Black authors (1) Pan-African authors (1) personal fulfillment (1) Pharonic sacred science (1) photography - wildlife (1) Plant sentience (1) policies that endanger animal welfare (2) politics (1) positive life lessons (1) post-neocolonialism in Africa (1) poverty field studies in India (1) prejudice (1) priming (1) professionals (1) public protest of economic policies (1) race (1) race and housing (2) race in America (1) Racism in Hollywood (1) religious bigotry (1) right wing christians (1) right-wing fundamentalism (1) Russia (1) Russian politics (1) Sarah Palin's politics (1) Science - intelligent creative bacteria (1) scientific ignorance perpetuated in 2012 (1) sibling rivalry (1) Snoop Dogg (2) soil science (1) Somalia (1) South Africa labor problems (1) South side Chicago (1) Spring poetry (1) Stanford University (1) successful women (1) Sudan (2) technology (1) tennis (2) Thanksgiving Day (1) The Bigs/multinational corporations (1) the failure of No Child Left Behind (1) the wealthy (1) things that make you go 'hhmmm' (1) Tiger Woods (1) Timbuktu libraries (1) time (1) Toni Morrison (1) true meaning of dogsledding. (1) Tuskegee Airmen (1) Twitter hijacked (1) U S History (1) vegan (1) vegetarianism (1) Virunga Park (1) ways to help Africa (1) weak results re: campaign promises (1) wealth in America (1) wholesome food sources (2) wildlife and their habitats (1) Williams sisters (2) Wimbledon (1) wolves (1) women leaders (1) world economy (1) writing (1) Xmas 2009 (1) yahoo (1) young Black entrepreneurs (1) Zimbabwe election (1)