Sunday, September 16, 2007

Celebrating the Life of one of Africa's greatest Leaders

17, September 1922 - The birth date of Agostinho Neto, a physician and poet that led his nation to independence and became the first President of Angola. My love for him stems from the fact that his vision for African people always encompassed all Africans....whether on the continent, or in the diaspora. He realized very early that we face the same issues whether we call home the musseques, the ghetto or favelas. May his enlightened awareness and the demonstrated capability of his talents as a healer and statesman still be felt, and inspire us his children, to continue to bring forth the vision of mutual respect and support, and brotherhood into reality.


I've been introduced to the world of African Bloggers, and I'm in Heaven. Just to run across intelligent people of my color, that are interested in the world, and making their place and presence felt in the global community.

America bores me so, with her predictable preferences, issues, fears and ignorance. And I extend that statement across the board. It matters not your ethnicity, or income....'The powers that be' have been very successful in mentally programming a nation of people of limited perception and understanding about the fullness of Life. Americans are truly ignorant about the world, it's inhabitants and how everything all works together. Even worse, the conduits of creativity and free imagination have been shut down. Most people sit and wait to be handed their ideas and beliefs. A seeking spirit, an inquisitive nature are not welcome in this land.

Sure everything looks nice....but it's boring. Believe me it's boring.

Back to something more interesting......the African Bloggers.
Here's a sister, from Angola that I recently discovered:
http://koluki.blogspot.com/
Great music, graphics and art, some of it is in Portugues, but alot in English. Check her out.

I wrote and shared a story of my ancestors, and she encouraged me to tell the story in her blog as a comment on reparations. Well friends....I've made an effort to do so. I'm going to add here what I shared so that you can comment on it too.
************************ ********************** **************************

Greetings Dear Sister~

Just a quick note, to offer you 'dois beijos', as today September 17th, we celebrate the birth date of 'our Beloved' Agostinho Neto. Isn't it auspicious that we connected during the season of his birth. And that when we did, we both held this great affection for him. I can't believe you met him....your photo is so youthful. (I hate to ask) How old were you?

I've been thinking about your suggestion of my adding a comment to your blog. I have mixed feelings about reparations, as I live extremely focused in the 'possibilities of the moment'. I am not one of those Africans that is still laden with chains and bound to the misery of 200 years of slavery imposed upon my people. 200 years is a scant nothing in the continuum of Life, and especially when for most of those eons, people of my color and from my continent ruled, provided the dominant impetus for knowledge, and understanding of the cosmic, spiritual and natural world.

Many people here wave the flag of reparations as they sing their "The white man is the source of all our problems" blues/anthem. So I have not given it much serious attention. That is not to say however, that I don't support more being definitely done to atone for the loss, pain and suffering slavery caused. Saying you are sorry, and trying to show it in material ways could be a part of a healing process. But in my heart, I know that giving money, and land alone....will not be the answer.

Another issue to me is who should the reparations be paid to? The individuals here? How about the nations themselves that suffered the lose of some of the strongest and best of their population?

Reparations from this dominant culture are a tricky game. Many things have to be in place for the deliverance and transfer of wealth that we're talking about. And those elements just aren't present today.

I've studied Jews for years, and their dazzling feat of extracting more wealth from the nations of the world, rounding up much of their lost valuable art, and even winning damages against German industries for their 'slave' labor during WWII was awesome. But from my analysis, it was the result of long planning and covert moves, to place Jews in strategic places in the government and society, so that at every needed step of the process, someone was there to carry the ball and smooze the dominant group into acquiescence.

In my research, I once found a website that delineated exactly how many Jews Clinton had in his administration. Because him being the President at the time, was pertinent to the process. In fact, it was his own, that's right, the U. S. Asst. Secretary of State, Stuart Eisenstadt, that negotiated the fund the compensated Jews. He was the most powerful of those positioned to accomplish this objective, and check this excerpt from a Salon article about how he used his position.

Between 1996 and 1999, Under Secretary of State Stuart Eisenstadt pressed the CIA to release material regarding looted Jewish assets. This was when the topic gained international attention with the disclosures about gold stolen by the Nazis that eventually wound up in Swiss banks. "All we could pry loose were a few files and that was with the State Department leaning on them," recalls one person familiar with the process.

So you see Jews were in position in all branches of the government. You also had a president that would go along. The economy was strong, and Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan was seen as responsible for that. It was a wonderful coming together of synergistic forces that allowed the response to be Yes. And the Jews took it...and ran with it, knowing that it was simply a window of opportunity that might shut very quickly, and never open again. The media did not even 'lay on it' as it does on other provocative and controversial issues. Why not?....because they control the major media and news outlets in the U.S.

Does a similar united and coordinated thrust to recover the wealth and resources already legislated as ours exist within the American African community today? Not hardly. I don't even think that Obama could pull it off.

What do you think of what I've said here? Please feel free to say, Rubbish, or Bullshit!

Last point......I don't see my family story as a reparations issue. I see it as an inheritance claim, as I know the ancestor, and his son would be my great grandmother's half brother. So I (in a perfect world) would be seeking my portion of the family wealth.

Anyway dear, the story is really something that I would use as a 'cocktail conversation' if I still drank and enjoyed those type of social gatherings. That is until, I sit down and write it up into a screen play.

In truth I don't think much about reparations.
I know that my wealth is within me, and that like the diamonds and oil of Angola, all I have to do is dig deep, and keep my focus internally directed. Out of what I Am and I've been given as qualities, talents and abilities....if I am grateful, and polish and refine my gifts, surely they will provide well for me.

Dois Beijos Menina.
Ate logo
Kentke


3 comments:

  1. Let me be the 1st/2 say/I would give/ The content & the vessel/ An "A"/If I were a teacher/Today.
    It all looks promising---
    E.K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Ekula. I look forward to your participation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Sister,

    WELCOME TO THE BLOGOSPHERE!
    I'm so happy that you decided to create your own blog!
    I will definitely visit as if it were my 'kimbo' and will link it on my blogroll.
    To celebrate I leave here this poem:

    Agostinho Neto
    by Chinua Achebe

    Agostinho, were you no more
    Than the middle one favored by fortune
    In children's riddle; Kwame
    Striding ahead to accost
    Demons; behind you a laggard third
    As yet unnamed, of twisted fingers?

    No! Your secure strides
    Were hard earned. Your feet
    Learned their fierce balance
    In violent slopes of humiliation;
    Your delicate hands, patiently
    Groomed for finest incisions,
    Were commandeered brusquely to kill,
    Your gentle voice to battle-cry.

    Perhaps your family and friends
    Knew a merry flash cracking the gloom
    We see in pictures but I prefer
    And will keep that sorrowful legend.
    For I have seen how
    Half a millennium of alien rape
    And murder can stamp a smile
    On the vacant face of the fool,
    The sinister grin of Africa's idiot-kings
    Who oversee in obscene palaces of gold
    The butchery of their own people.

    Neto, I sing your passing, I,
    Timid requisitioner of your vast
    Armory's most congenial supply.
    What shall I sing? A dirge answering
    The gloom? No, I will sing tearful songs
    Of joy; I will celebrate
    The man who rode a trinity
    Of awesome fates to the cause
    Of our trampled race!
    Thou Healer, Soldier and Poet!

    (from AGNI 44 & 56)

    Chinua Achebe is Africa’s leading novelist, whose novels, including No Longer at Ease and Things Fall Apart, are contemporary classics. He teaches at Bard College in New York. (1996)

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Absence of citizen online privacy protection by U S government (1) achievements of women (1) Africa human rights (1) africa political violence (1) African Muslims want peace (1) African politics (1) African refugee assisting homeland (1) African violence and corruption (1) African-American art (1) agriculture biotechnology industry (1) alQaida in Africa (1) American economic system (1) American education (1) American labor movement (2) American prison system (1) American racism (1) animals (1) Animals and humans (3) anti-American Middle Eastern cyber hijackers (1) apartheid 20 years gone (1) Arnold (1) Art by artists of African descent both continental (1) Atlanta (1) Avatar (1) Barack Obama (2) BeeSweet Lemonade (1) beneficial presence in the world (1) Bill Clinton (1) biogenetics (1) birthday (1) Black male role models (1) Black men unjustly incarcerated (1) Black people worldwide (1) busting American myths (1) buyer beware (1) Caribbean Literature Book Club 2010 reading list (1) champions (1) change for america world (1) charity (1) charter schools (2) China (1) classy artists (1) Congo (1) Consumer Rights (1) consumerism (1) Cornel West (1) Cosmos (1) coups in Africa (1) creativity built from our culture (1) credit game (1) Crenshaw community (1) cyberspace brought into wars (1) Dark Matter (1) David Bowie (1) Dedan Gills (1) delusions of the American masse (1) democracy in the world (1) destroying myths that no longer serve the good (1) Dialogue in America (1) diaspora (1) Disgust; Being our true selves (1) distribution of wealth (1) donating (1) earthworms (1) ecologically smart cars; green lifestyle (1) ecology (1) economic meltdown (1) economics (1) Edge intellectuals (1) Education in America (1) Egypt (1) elevating consciousness of American people (1) endangered Mountain Gorillas (1) European internet privacy (1) Excellent athletes (1) expanding consciousness (1) fear and greed of white people (1) female corporate/ multinational CEOs (1) first blog of the year (1) freedom of the press (1) French and Mali troops roust al-Qaida Islamist invaders (1) G-20 (1) gardeners (1) giving (1) global immigration issues; Israel (1) golf (1) Good works in Africa by her children in the diaspora (1) gospel music (1) Gratitude (1) Groups doing great work (1) Haitian Earthquake relief effort (2) helping others globally (1) History of issue of race in America (1) Homophobia (1) Human omniaction (1) ignorance (1) imperialism (1) indigenious people (1) influencing purchasing trends with priming (1) Iraqi drones compromised (1) Islam (1) Islamic extremests in African; Timbuktu (2) jokes (1) Kenya bloggers (1) latest scientific discoveries (1) law (1) Los Angeles life; architecture; African-Americans in Los Angeles (2) lost world cultures (1) Love (1) Malcolm X Civil Rights Leader (1) Mali (3) Mali 2013 (1) manipulating the food of the world (1) manuscripts of Africa's past (1) men of integrity (1) men standing strong (1) Mikhail Khodorkovsky (1) military power in Afrcia (1) military power in Africa (1) Monsanto (1) MTV (1) Mugabe (2) my travels (1) Natalie Cole (1) National Parks (1) Native Americans (1) Nature at It's Best File (3) Nelson Mandela (1) Neuromelanin (1) New Yorker Magazine (1) Nigerian terrorist (1) Nobel Peace Prize winners (1) Obama as a balm (1) Obama diplomacy (1) Obama foreign diplomacy (1) Obama in Europe (1) Obama nobel prize winner (1) Obama policies regarding average citizens (1) Obama's ability to control and steer his administration (1) Octavvia E. Butler (1) order (1) organic (1) outstanding Black authors (1) Pan-African authors (1) personal fulfillment (1) Pharonic sacred science (1) photography - wildlife (1) Plant sentience (1) policies that endanger animal welfare (2) politics (1) positive life lessons (1) post-neocolonialism in Africa (1) poverty field studies in India (1) prejudice (1) priming (1) professionals (1) public protest of economic policies (1) race (1) race and housing (2) race in America (1) Racism in Hollywood (1) religious bigotry (1) right wing christians (1) right-wing fundamentalism (1) Russia (1) Russian politics (1) Sarah Palin's politics (1) Science - intelligent creative bacteria (1) scientific ignorance perpetuated in 2012 (1) sibling rivalry (1) Snoop Dogg (2) soil science (1) Somalia (1) South Africa labor problems (1) South side Chicago (1) Spring poetry (1) Stanford University (1) successful women (1) Sudan (2) technology (1) tennis (2) Thanksgiving Day (1) The Bigs/multinational corporations (1) the failure of No Child Left Behind (1) the wealthy (1) things that make you go 'hhmmm' (1) Tiger Woods (1) Timbuktu libraries (1) time (1) Toni Morrison (1) true meaning of dogsledding. (1) Tuskegee Airmen (1) Twitter hijacked (1) U S History (1) vegan (1) vegetarianism (1) Virunga Park (1) ways to help Africa (1) weak results re: campaign promises (1) wealth in America (1) wholesome food sources (2) wildlife and their habitats (1) Williams sisters (2) Wimbledon (1) wolves (1) women leaders (1) world economy (1) writing (1) Xmas 2009 (1) yahoo (1) young Black entrepreneurs (1) Zimbabwe election (1)