Friday, December 22, 2017

Damn Editors! Are these the best photos you could find for these brothers???

Ta-Nehisi Coates v Cornel West:

Black Academics and Activists Give their Verdict

Ta-Nehisi Coates and Cornel Wes Ta-Nehisi Coates and Cornel West

 

Folks I read about this recently, and at the end of my musings is a link to an article I hope you'll read along with Comments.

Don't know what got into me this morning, but after reading other readers' Comments, I looked back up at the faces in the photos above, with the thoughts and questions of the relevance of the Coates/West debate running through my head. And sadly, the only thing that came to my silly mind was, "Damn, both these n__as look like they should be shuckin' sugar."

Now that's how Spirit works in me. "Spirit?!?!" you may be wondering. And yes, let me explain why I say that and how the ONE LIFE lives as me.

First premise, The One Mind in me, loves to laugh.

Second, IT is INFINITE. Things come to me, that I really have no personal experience (laughing right now) with. But I have this gift, of sometimes pulling a word out of the air, that just perfectly expresses the phenomenon I'm thinking of. I mean I receive a perfect and accurate description, definition or explanation. I've likened it in the past as perhaps a word or something I've come across in the many books I've read in my lifetime shoots up from deep memory...? But here, what arose was the phrase, "shuckin' sugar". 

Now my generation and before know what 'shucking and jiving' mean, but shucking sugar? I'm still shaking my head wondering where did that come from??

So being the sincere student that I am, I googled the definition, and the first thing I noticed were some images, all from Asian nations of people, shucking sugar:

Woman Shucking Sugar in Shanghai

 Image result for shucking sugar

Image result for shucking sugar 

 Hong Kong street vendor shucking sugar

 And last this great scene~Shucking sugar cane in Cambodia

 

So now I had an image, and I confirmed my understanding with a dictionary visit which said that the verb 'to shuck' means to remove the outer shell, or outer part of something.

Then I hit pay dirt, as they say. youtube had a song by an artist named Blind Lemon Jefferson, entitled Shuckin' Sugar! I played it and loved it. It seemed that some of his lyrics even fit the issues in the debate that started this adventure. But even more fascinating, is this brother's life story. I include the song here, for your enjoyment, and the Wikipedia link for Blind Lemon Jefferson. 

 

And again....the goodness I enjoy from my Inner Life's connection with Cosmic Wholeness wasn't done with me. It just happens that, Blind Lemon died 88 years ago, three days ago, at the age of 36, on Dec. 19, 1929.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Lemon_Jefferson

His career and influence were awesome. He was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 1980. Known as the Father of Texas Blues, his songs crossed genres and were covered /recorded by numerous Rock and Roll greats, inspiring many musicians. His life has been recreated in films, and stage plays. In fact, it was a lyric from one of his biggest hits, "Black Snake Moan", that became the title of the song, "It's All Right" that launched Elvis Presley's career.

http://www.bad-seed.org/~cave/misc/blind.jpeg

 And finally to set the record straight. I was just ticklin' myself, in saying that Coates and West, looked like field hands. I appreciate both of their contributions and their work, indisputably demonstrating that the fountain feeding the continuum of Africa's children that Receive Insight, See and Feel Truth in our Hearts, develop wisdom, think deeply, act decisively and share and teach all that are interested, can not be turned off.

I bow down to all the great Black Men, rich in melanin, understanding, physical strength and agility, intelligence, joy and creative genius, and HUMILITY. All gushing from an Inner Love that is expressed through their compassion and generosity that allows my Pharoahs to Be and expect nothing but XCELLENCE.

lovu~ 

Kendke

Expect 2018 to be wonderful for you and all you love~

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/22/-ta-nehisi-coates-cornel-west-black-academic-activists-debate-equality 

  

6 comments:

  1. On Sat, Dec 23, 2017, at 5:44 PM, C. wrote:
    > First of all, your piece was immensely informative...thank you..I found a review of the “thing” going on between West & Coates quite interesting. Of course, historically, none of this is new!! I have a healthy respect for both brothers but in some cases, many come down too hard on West. Both brothers were pretty much on point. However, I must say, not sure why Coates bailed out... I don’t think he relishes this “level” of engagement....>
    > Thank you for doing what you do so well...>
    > Happy Kwanzaa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comments C. Many thoughts arose reflecting on what you said....

      1) They are from different generations. And though they pursue the same objective, the nuances of how each approaches life are quite different. Even though he's an academic and an activist, West is almost like a Baptist minister to me, with values very much of our earlier generation of Civil Rights leaders. Coates on the other hand, made his name writing for The Atlantic magazine, and although he's always pushed progressive positions with integrity and history, in my mind, he is the 'Darling' of liberal whites.

      2) In regard to what you said about him bailing out, I was thinking, that West's attack, is something he's not used to. Blacks being very happy with him for being so articulate in speaking our truth, and whites being so open to hearing it from him. That to me, sounds like he was taken aback by this public attack. Especially when he is trying to put forth Truth, that is usually ignored, downplayed or refuted by whites. And here comes West saying in so many words, "You ain't Black enough"....LOL. Like you said, nothing new...we've heard those attacks slung at each other before.

      Enough though...I'm sorry that West could not find a way, to have a discussion with the Brother alone. Disappointed that he felt the need to put it out there like he did. A conversation between just the two of them, might have benefited both of their deeper understandings. Surely we know, that everyone should be allowed to contribute according to their own ability, and Heart's expression.

      In my personal opinion, we talk too much in the public, and that serves us no good. Also, I don't think that's really the African way. I think it's a reactionary response, newly developed in from erroneous efforts to locate ourselves in this Wholeness. I think we were much better off, when whites WONDERED what we were thinking......we get played all the time, because we've lost our 'mystique'...but that's another one of my 'theories' all together.

      I just give thanks for our athletes! This year, the brothers, lit up my heart, and made me proud. And who would ever have thought that true heros would emerge out of our gladiator class? Steph, LeBron, Colin, and the whole team of the Warriors....just young men with outstanding character. No not the community leaders, the preachers of mega churches, or the tired politicians.....aah but our gladiators~

      Much joy and happiness,
      Kendke
      Just before pushing SEND on this email, googled the question, Why did Coates move to France? Below is an excert from a Feb 2016interview he did with Amy Goodman, that adds to what I'd sensed about his reaction, and bailing out of Twitter, after West's attack. Although I think cutting Twitter loose is a good thing -smile-
      I hate social network sites like that ---and yes, that is really another rant LOLOL.

      AMY GOODMAN: Were you surprised by the pushback that you got after writing this piece?

      TA-NEHISI COATES: Yeah, a little bit. A little bit, I was. But it’s been a great opportunity, you know? I have been extremely, extremely fortunate, in the sense that I feel like I’ve been saying the same sort of caliber of things for the past 10, 15 years now, but I have been lucky enough to get a platform at The Atlantic that makes people pay attention to things that, were I writing in other well-respected platforms that may be a little to the left, the same amount of attention would not be granted. And so, yeah, I was a little surprised, but I plan to take as much advantage of it as I can to push this conversation about racism and white supremacy as close as I can to the forefront. That’s why I’m here.
      www.democracynow.org/2016/2/10/part_2_ta_nehisi_coates_on

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the verification on the brother. I listened to his music. Cousin, this is EA. So that's interesting.Yea that's Elvis' music and where Elvis got his music - verbatim. So that's a priceless education and I'm glad they inducted him into the Hall of Fame. It just backs up what I believe and stand for at the station trying to educate the management at the radio station I'm on. So they can take our knowledge and be our boss with the money, that we don't have...I appreciate you and all the Heavenly Host appreciate you. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks so much for letting me know that the blog was of value to you. And here I just started the post sharing how some reacted to the Coates/West 'thing'. That transformed into listening to what my Heart was saying about it, and BOOM...I was off following the flow of curiosity, not knowing where it was going to lead. Stay joyful and strong. Make this a year where you are selfishly indulging your Heart's interests, fun and quietly but firmly honoring what your Truth. lovu~

      Delete
  3. Readers found a site called The Intercept, where two journalists take on the Coates/West 'thing', in a much wider context. MOST IMPORTANT, are the COMMENTS of their readers. Check it out:

    https://theintercept.com/2017/12/21/cornel-west-ta-nehisi-coates-feud/?comments=1#comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. This piece from The Grio is worth your read...
    https://thegrio.com/2017/12/23/cornel-west-beef-coates-obama/

    And now, let's turn our attention to letting our imagination play with images and outcomes that delight and serve us.

    Happy Holiday Season, and let's say NO NO NO to all forms of OPPRESSION in 2018 - psychological, personal, social and institutional, as well as financial.

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Absence of citizen online privacy protection by U S government (1) achievements of women (1) Africa human rights (1) africa political violence (1) African Muslims want peace (1) African politics (1) African refugee assisting homeland (1) African violence and corruption (1) African-American art (1) agriculture biotechnology industry (1) alQaida in Africa (1) American economic system (1) American education (1) American labor movement (2) American prison system (1) American racism (1) animals (1) Animals and humans (3) anti-American Middle Eastern cyber hijackers (1) apartheid 20 years gone (1) Arnold (1) Art by artists of African descent both continental (1) Atlanta (1) Avatar (1) Barack Obama (2) BeeSweet Lemonade (1) beneficial presence in the world (1) Bill Clinton (1) biogenetics (1) birthday (1) Black male role models (1) Black men unjustly incarcerated (1) Black people worldwide (1) busting American myths (1) buyer beware (1) Caribbean Literature Book Club 2010 reading list (1) champions (1) change for america world (1) charity (1) charter schools (2) China (1) classy artists (1) Congo (1) Consumer Rights (1) consumerism (1) Cornel West (1) Cosmos (1) coups in Africa (1) creativity built from our culture (1) credit game (1) Crenshaw community (1) cyberspace brought into wars (1) Dark Matter (1) David Bowie (1) Dedan Gills (1) delusions of the American masse (1) democracy in the world (1) destroying myths that no longer serve the good (1) Dialogue in America (1) diaspora (1) Disgust; Being our true selves (1) distribution of wealth (1) donating (1) earthworms (1) ecologically smart cars; green lifestyle (1) ecology (1) economic meltdown (1) economics (1) Edge intellectuals (1) Education in America (1) Egypt (1) elevating consciousness of American people (1) endangered Mountain Gorillas (1) European internet privacy (1) Excellent athletes (1) expanding consciousness (1) fear and greed of white people (1) female corporate/ multinational CEOs (1) first blog of the year (1) freedom of the press (1) French and Mali troops roust al-Qaida Islamist invaders (1) G-20 (1) gardeners (1) giving (1) global immigration issues; Israel (1) golf (1) Good works in Africa by her children in the diaspora (1) gospel music (1) Gratitude (1) Groups doing great work (1) Haitian Earthquake relief effort (2) helping others globally (1) History of issue of race in America (1) Homophobia (1) Human omniaction (1) ignorance (1) imperialism (1) indigenious people (1) influencing purchasing trends with priming (1) Iraqi drones compromised (1) Islam (1) Islamic extremests in African; Timbuktu (2) jokes (1) Kenya bloggers (1) latest scientific discoveries (1) law (1) Los Angeles life; architecture; African-Americans in Los Angeles (2) lost world cultures (1) Love (1) Malcolm X Civil Rights Leader (1) Mali (3) Mali 2013 (1) manipulating the food of the world (1) manuscripts of Africa's past (1) men of integrity (1) men standing strong (1) Mikhail Khodorkovsky (1) military power in Afrcia (1) military power in Africa (1) Monsanto (1) MTV (1) Mugabe (2) my travels (1) Natalie Cole (1) National Parks (1) Native Americans (1) Nature at It's Best File (3) Nelson Mandela (1) Neuromelanin (1) New Yorker Magazine (1) Nigerian terrorist (1) Nobel Peace Prize winners (1) Obama as a balm (1) Obama diplomacy (1) Obama foreign diplomacy (1) Obama in Europe (1) Obama nobel prize winner (1) Obama policies regarding average citizens (1) Obama's ability to control and steer his administration (1) Octavvia E. Butler (1) order (1) organic (1) outstanding Black authors (1) Pan-African authors (1) personal fulfillment (1) Pharonic sacred science (1) photography - wildlife (1) Plant sentience (1) policies that endanger animal welfare (2) politics (1) positive life lessons (1) post-neocolonialism in Africa (1) poverty field studies in India (1) prejudice (1) priming (1) professionals (1) public protest of economic policies (1) race (1) race and housing (2) race in America (1) Racism in Hollywood (1) religious bigotry (1) right wing christians (1) right-wing fundamentalism (1) Russia (1) Russian politics (1) Sarah Palin's politics (1) Science - intelligent creative bacteria (1) scientific ignorance perpetuated in 2012 (1) sibling rivalry (1) Snoop Dogg (2) soil science (1) Somalia (1) South Africa labor problems (1) South side Chicago (1) Spring poetry (1) Stanford University (1) successful women (1) Sudan (2) technology (1) tennis (2) Thanksgiving Day (1) The Bigs/multinational corporations (1) the failure of No Child Left Behind (1) the wealthy (1) things that make you go 'hhmmm' (1) Tiger Woods (1) Timbuktu libraries (1) time (1) Toni Morrison (1) true meaning of dogsledding. (1) Tuskegee Airmen (1) Twitter hijacked (1) U S History (1) vegan (1) vegetarianism (1) Virunga Park (1) ways to help Africa (1) weak results re: campaign promises (1) wealth in America (1) wholesome food sources (2) wildlife and their habitats (1) Williams sisters (2) Wimbledon (1) wolves (1) women leaders (1) world economy (1) writing (1) Xmas 2009 (1) yahoo (1) young Black entrepreneurs (1) Zimbabwe election (1)